What might sea level rise hold in store for Ireland this century or the next? Something rather like Norway, with fjords and islands. Here I’ve made a model based on loss of 60% of Greenland (20m global rise) leaving 40% which has not melted in “recent” geological time as observed in the Vostok core samples. The larger West Antarctic glacier also melts 60% (20m rise) leaving 40% of West Antarctic ice. All East Antarctic Ice (which has no residual old ice in any core set) adds a 15m rise. An additional 5m represents high latitude permafrost with half still to be melted.

I’d like to think a new fishing trade might arise around Borrisokane and Roscrea but it seems more likely the marine food cycle will have collapsed by then from overheating, acidification, and microplastics.

You encourage me to do more and then tell you about it. Help me get my blog posted every week. All Patreon donations and Blogger subscriptions are needed and welcomed. Those are how we make this happen. PowerUp! donors on Patreon get an autographed book off each first press run. Please help if you can.

Emergency Planetary Technician and Climate Science Wonk — using naturopathic remedies to recover the Holocene without geoengineering or ponzinomics.

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store